YA/Children's/Adult Books

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Tue Apr 29 13:01:46 EDT 2003

On Monday 28 April 2003 18:36, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

> The point is that Dark Lord was, AFAIK, published as an adult book.
> You've said that was because there was no children's imprint
> available at Gollancz, right?  Now, three years later (sorry, three
> years later than the paperback edition anyway), the book is
> recommended by Gollancz as for 9 to 12 year olds.

Really? I'd put it firmly in YA. I'd probably recommend it to *my*
nine-year-old - who doesn't read English yet and it hasn't been
translated, worse luck - but certainly not to her classmates (who are,
on average, ten and a half) or a random sample of upper
elementary-schoolers.

Not because of the violence, or the implied rape, but purely on the
basis of psychological development of characters. _Howl's Moving
Castle_ is a children's book by that standard, I realize; my brain puts
that in the same compartment but on a simpler level.

On that scale, _Deep Secret_ would probably be an adult book, right
alongside _A Sudden Wild Magic_.

   Irina

http://www.valdyas.org/~irina/foundobjects/          Latest: 11-Mar-2003