Unfortunate names (was Scunthorpe)

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Tue Apr 29 12:14:56 EDT 2003

My major professor in grad school claimed that his first Vietnamese
student had an _extremely_ unfortunate name for anybody entering an
English-speaking university. On the first day of registration, he said,
he called the boy in and went through a long rigmarole about respecting
other people's cultures and languages but gently pointed out that some
Texas students were not all that enlightened and he might want to choose
a different name to use while he was living here. Whereupon the student
looked up brightly and said, "Oh, that's all right, Professor DeCamp. My
name isn't Ph'uc, it's Ph^uc!"

--
Margaret Ball
http://www.flameweaver.com