Wynne Jones

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Tue Apr 29 11:48:57 EDT 2003

If I remember correctly from my time at the bookstore (Barnes and
Noble for anyone who cares), we shelved picture books under the
author's name. When I rand the section, if there was no listed author
I treated the illustrator as the author and shelved accordingly.

This, of course, made the Caldecott Award section interesting . . .
the illustrator won the award but the section was alphabetized by
author.

>In a message dated 4/29/03 5:56:59 AM Central Daylight Time, Sally
>Odgers writes:
>
>>Picture books are often (usually) shelved by illustrator, not author. Some
>>authors find this peculiar, since the text exists before the illustrations.
>>

>NOT according to the Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules they aren't!
>The illustrator is never the "point of entry," even if the work is
>anonymous (if there's no known author, it goes under title).
>Bookstores, of course, may do as they like, and of course there may
>be a different cataloguing code in Australian libraries, I don't
>know, but in the US and UK, it's strictly author/title and
>text-based. This sometimes results in odd things such as a
>completely wordless version of a traditional story being put under
>the title, despite the fact that almost every detail is the
>illustrator's conception, while a slightly altered *word* version of
>a traditional tale, even if not nearly as original, will often go
>under the alterer's name.
>
>Jill Paton Walsh is always getting put in the wrong place. She is
>Paton Walsh, Jill.
>
>The Library of Congress Name Authority File is a good place to check
>which way a possibly double-barreled name goes.
>http://authorities.loc.gov
>
>Helen Schinske

It wasn't only wickedness and scheming that made people unhappy, it
was confusion and misunderstanding; above all, it was the failure to
grasp the simple truth that other people are as real as you.
Ian McEwan Atonement

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net