Who's afraid of Fenris Ulf? (sorry - I couldn't resist that one...)

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Tue Apr 29 11:13:58 EDT 2003

Here's my latest speculative theory on the Fenris/Maugrim variant, for
anyone who's still sticking with this one:

a) CSL originally wrote 'Fenris' and referred to the world's ash tree. We
all know how much he loved those myths, and the Inklings used to translate
the sagas together, so they were very much part of his imaginative world.
b) Geoffrey Bles thought these references too non-Christian and changed
them. (Remember, Bles was primarily a religious not a children's publisher,
and had published Lewis in that capacity.)
c) The US editor at Macmillan didn't care, and kept the original text.
d) At some point in her childhood, Minnow read a hardback US edition that
had somehow crossed the pond.

That all seems more likely than that someone changed the text from Maugrim
_to_ Fenris and stuck in an egregious Ygdrassil, doesn't it? But it accounts
for the fact that all English editions have Maugrim never/nonetheless.

For what it's worth...

Charlie