Carbonel/Puffins

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue Apr 29 06:22:40 EDT 2003

Dorian remarked informatively:

>Minnow said...
>> can you clarify: is the one you mean *A Little Princess* or *The
>> Lost Prince*?
>Oh, sorry, I keep on conflating those two titles!  I meant "The Lost
>Prince".  In Munich, after the events at the opera, there's this huge long
>bit where Marco burbles on to the Rat about Loristan's experiences in the
>Mystical East(TM) - that's the major cut in the Puffin edition.  (The
>complete version is at Project Gutenberg, if anyone wants to check it out
>for themselves.)

I don't think I can cope!  Gibble.  The influence of Krishna Murti, perhaps?

>(And no, my Puffins don't hyphenate her name; maybe you're thinking of some
>other publisher.)

Aaaargh!  I have just checked the only one that comes to hand (I think the
younger brat has the others somewhere secreted in her room, terra incognita
into which the parent strays at peril of treading on something small but
very fragile) and *The Secret Garden*  1960 reprint Puffin has "F.
Hodgson-Burnett" on the cover and "Frances Hodgson Burnett" on the
title-page!

My brain may explode.... How is a librarian meant to cope with *that*?

Incidentally, the "recommendation" in that reads: "Girls like it most, and
between the ages of nine and fourteen -- and, be warned, keep your copy
carefully.  You will want to go back and read it over and over again."
That's Eleanor Graham editing Puffin at that point, not Kaye Webb, and I
think I rather like that way of saying who she thinks it is for.

Minnow