starting Abhorsen discussion

Mon Apr 28 19:01:11 EDT 2003

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 10:48:54 +0100, Roger Burton West wrote:

>On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 02:59:10AM -0600, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>
>>I was thinking of things like:
>>--Very long series (i.e. Magic Tree House, Bailey School Kids, etc.)
>
>Hmm. I'd restrict that a little and suggest "very long series with only
>loose connections between them" - I haven't read the two you mention,
>but if the series is designed such that one can jump into it at any
>point without loss of context... (but you have to collect the Whole Set
>or you won't be Cool)...

I don't know that it's necessary to restrict it in this way, unless you can
think of very long series that *don't* fall into this category.  Maybe if,
say, Junie B. Jones were in danger of being mistaken for an American
Girl....  My understanding is that the appeal in this case is that many
children like the safety of knowing that the book they are going to read is
one that they will like, and these series offer that kind of security.  So
the length of the series is one aspect, and the flexibility of starting
anywhere is related to a different quality.  Though I'm probably just
picking nits at this point.

Melissa Proffitt