Deep Secret, Spoiler Space, Merlin

Anna Clare McDuff amcduff at math.sunysb.edu
Mon Apr 28 15:05:31 EDT 2003

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, christian nutt wrote regarding the assertion
that Rupert slept with Zinka while she was married to his brother Simon:

> that's really not why i was bringing it up. not every aspect of deep secret
> discussion has to be about whether or not it's safe to give to kids. =\

	Very true! I was just posting about the dangers of infantilising
of adult society, let's not infantilise Deep Secret as well! OK, Rupert &
Zinka.  Zinka has been married to Rupert's brother for three years...
Rupert knows her as a fellow magid & I assume they had the affair while
they were both magids. When Simon tells Rupert that he is married to Zinka
he does so in the context of explaining that they didn't let him train
Zinka as a magid because he was married to her at the time, just as they
won't let Rupert train Maree as they seem likely to marry. Therefore *if*
Rupert had an affair with Zinka while Zinka was a magid (which seems
likely) then Zinka had to have been married to Simon at the time.

	It's a fairly subtle point, and it is dependent on Rupert only
knowing Zinka as a magid, but it does seem likely to me!

	Anna