YA/Children's/Adult Books

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Mon Apr 28 06:05:11 EDT 2003

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 12:01:23AM +0000, christian nutt wrote:
>yes. this is pretty much the conclusion we came to as a group as well.
>the people who make these disctinctions have very narrow views and are
>interested in superificalities. that's because also they're probably aiming
>at placating people who are even more so (loudmouthed parents' groups in
>schools, for example, are probably pleased when they hear the language has
>been toned down, in truth.)

A related datum from another field: among other things I have done, I
have been known to build web-sites for pop groups (British readers may
have heard of "S Club 7" and "Westlife", both of whose sites I worked
on a few years ago). A standard request from those paying for these
sites was a web-BBS and/or an IRC-style chat room, which we could give
them; and the standard next request was for "bad words" to be filtered
out.

But this is impossible, we replied. Say that you consider the word
"kite" offensive; how are you going to prevent people from using "kyte",
"kyt", "k1te", etc., while still allowing them to talk about kittens?

But they didn't care. As long as the _actual words_ weren't visible,
that was fine with them.

Roger