YA/Children's/Adult Books

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Sun Apr 27 08:59:10 EDT 2003

And when people feel that their
> definitions of what consitutes a children's book or a young adult's book
> has been violated there is debate, as is going on now with regard to
> Melvin Burgess' Doing It. For example, this link will take you to Anne
> Fine's horrified review of this novel and her arguments as to why it
> should not be published as a YA book:
>
> http://books.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,12084,923907,00.html
>
> A search of the guardian archives will turn up more of this debate
> if anyone is interested!

As I've been blowing the ACHUKACHAT trumpet, anyone interested in the Doing
It debate might also want to see the reaction on that forum, which features
contributions from Burgess himself, as well as from the book's publicist and
some other writers, including a typically committed one from the Vampire
Kid, Darren Shan.

Charlie