book-shaped objects (was Re: starting Abhorsen discussion)

Jenwa Hsung jenwahsung at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 27 08:36:35 EDT 2003

--- Roger Burton West <roger at firedrake.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 02:59:10AM -0600, Melissa
> Proffitt wrote:
>
> >I was thinking of things like:
> >--Very long series (i.e. Magic Tree House, Bailey
> School Kids, etc.)
>
> Hmm. I'd restrict that a little and suggest "very
> long series with only
> loose connections between them" - I haven't read the
> two you mention,
> but if the series is designed such that one can jump
> into it at any
> point without loss of context... (but you have to
> collect the Whole Set
> or you won't be Cool)...

but their are plenty of long series with reasonably
strong connection between then that should be in this
category -- The Babysitters Club and Sweet Valley High
are two typical examples.  The books are sequential.
To allow people to pick up the series in the middle
they just reiterate thumbnail descriptions of who
people are and such at the beginning of each book.

--jenwa.