Fenris der Wulf (was Re: Carbonel/Puffins)

Sat Apr 26 15:22:18 EDT 2003

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 12:28:57 +0100, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

>Charlie replied to a bit of the Fenris Wolf stuff:
>
>>This may be more complicated yet. After reading Dorian's post I went back
>>and checked my copy of LWW, which is a hardback Geoffrey Bles from 1956 -
>>the third edition. And  I have to say that it's Maugrim there too! But I
>>KNOW I have seen (or heard) this wolf referred to as Fenris. And on
>>reflection I think (though I will check this tomorrow) that it was in the
>>1970's US cartoon version of the book. Where this leaves the name, or Kaye
>>Webb, I'm not sure - except it makes me wonder if it isn't another US/UK
>>thing?
>
>I am now baffled too, because I know I have read it being Fenris, and I
>know that I can't have got it from the 1970s cartoon because as far as I
>know I have never encountered that at all.

I had never heard of Maugrim until this thread.  I've read probably three
different American editions (all late) and I think it would have stood out
had any of them mentioned this name.  Fenris Wolf, on the other hand, brings
up very powerful memories of that particular character.  I'm starting to
agree with whatever bright person suggested it was changed *from* Maugrim to
Fenris.  Too bad I'm such a lazy person or I'd go look it up in my own copy.

Melissa Proffitt