Who's afraid of Fenris Ulf? (sorry - I couldn't resist that one...)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Sat Apr 26 13:37:08 EDT 2003

Charlie perpetrated that subject-line.  I shall pass over the matter in
dignified silence....  except that I might mutter about "Fenris Stephen
isn't even slightly frightening".  :-)

>Anyway, it's beginning to look as if Maugrim was changed TO Fenris somewhere
>along the line, unless the change was made before the third (1956) imprint I
>have. Which is possible I suppose. I can vaguely imagine Lewis being
>browbeaten by a bunch of Inklings (with JRRT heading the charge) outraged at
>his appropriation of a favourite Norse myth. But CSL was probably a hard man
>to bully.

*He* said it was no use trying to criticise JRRT because JRRT either
ignored you or re-wrote the entire thing if you did.  I suppose he might
have listened to Charles Williams (Lewis might, I mean, not Tolkien!), but
I don't know what Williams would have held as an opinion on Fenrir or
Fenris, and anyway CW was five years dead by the time LWW appeared....

yes, you guessed, I have been trying to find any reference to Fenris in the
Letters, in a desultory sort of way.  I can't, nor does there seem to be
anything in Carpenter's *The Inklings*.  Except that Tolkien seems to have
washed his hands of the entire Narnia business on the grounds that it was
rubbishing stuff, or as he put it, "it wouldn't do", so he probably didn't
comment on the Fenris thing if it existed in the original.

Minnow