Nonetheless/nevertheless

Anna Clare McDuff amcduff at math.sunysb.edu
Sat Apr 26 08:00:43 EDT 2003

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003, Paul Andinach wrote:

> It's consistent enough that I'm pretty sure I have a mental model for
> which is which, but I'm having trouble figuring out how it works.
>
> Part of the problem is that right now I can't think of a single
> instance in which I would use "nevertheless".

	Hmm, that's an interesting puzzle! I agree with you, there are
times I'd use nonetheless, & times I'd use nevertheless, and the two words
have different connotations in my mind, but I can't quite put my finger on
a precise explanation. The best I can do is to say that I think it has
something to do with where things are in time. I think I would use
nevertheless in a context where I was referring to something that hadn't
happened yet, but might, and nonetheless to refer to something that had
already happened or was happening. If there was a SARS epidemic in London
I would nevertheless continue to ride the tube. Although there many
terrorist threats in London I nonetheless continue to ride the tube (and
when the news is *really* grim I often get to sit down during rush hour,
which is a real treat). That kind of thing. Of course as soon as I send
this off I'll probably think of exceptions, but it's a start!

	Anna