Rogue reissues of books (was Abarat, etc)

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Apr 26 06:59:55 EDT 2003

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

[John Masefield's _The Midnight Folk_]

> The best is the Puffin with the illustrations.  The hardback
> first, which I found and bought very cheap in a jumble sale,
> doesn't have them, which is a bit sad.

My copy, although a hardcover, does have the illustrations, I'm happy
to say. (It is, if I'm reading it right, a 1966 reprint of an edition
first printed in 1927; which seems a bit odd, but there it is.)

-snip-
> But They also if I recall did away with the invisible mouse
> pushing the half-eaten sugarlump across the dressing-table, which
> I thought was just meanness on Their part.

Yoicks again.

*clutches copy of _The Midnight Folk_ protectively*

-snip-
> Yes, drat him, THW re-wrote *The Sword in the Stone* for the
> collected volume, and it has Chapter Six reduced to about two
> pages.  But trying to keep track of where various bits of TSITS
> are is terrible hard work and I can never be sure which version
> has the Ants and which has the Geese and which has the port being
> called methaglin or Pellinore saying "Ay say" instead of "I say"
> and whether the boys are hunting a griffin or anthropophagi with
> Robin Hood.

One thing I do recall is that both my copy and my brother's have the
boys hunting (anthropophagi and griffin respectively) with Robin
*Wood*. Which is just as well, since there's quite enough anachronisms
in the story already.  :)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."