Nonetheless/nevertheless

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Apr 26 06:34:02 EDT 2003

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Ian W. Riddell wrote:

> OK, I'll bite. What, exactly, is the difference between
> "nonetheless"  and "nevertheless"? My dictionary offers each as a
> synonym of the other.

I expect your dictionary is right, and it's probably just a matter of
taste; but there are times when one feels definitely right, and the
other definitely wrong.

It's consistent enough that I'm pretty sure I have a mental model for
which is which, but I'm having trouble figuring out how it works.

Part of the problem is that right now I can't think of a single
instance in which I would use "nevertheless".

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."