Who's afraid of Fenris Ulf? (sorry - I couldn't resist that one...)

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Sat Apr 26 04:33:01 EDT 2003

Jackie S:
> My copy of LWW has him as Fenris Ulf.  It's a paperback version from
> Macmillan, 1971 and has a picture on the cover that looks very derivative
> of the Beatles' Yellow Submarine.

Is that a UK or US edition?

I checked the American cartoon. I couldn't find a date, but those polo neck
jumpers are sooo 1970's and I saw it first around 1979. It too says Fenris
Ulf. (Another mystery - why Ulf rather than Wolf? Why try to allude to a
myth and then prevaricate at the last minute? It seems a little maladroit to
me, and not really Lewis's style.)

Anyway, it's beginning to look as if Maugrim was changed TO Fenris somewhere
along the line, unless the change was made before the third (1956) imprint I
have. Which is possible I suppose. I can vaguely imagine Lewis being
browbeaten by a bunch of Inklings (with JRRT heading the charge) outraged at
his appropriation of a favourite Norse myth. But CSL was probably a hard man
to bully.

My mother happened to work at Bles at the time - if the real answer doesn't
emerge in the next day or two maybe I'll ask her if she has any memory of
the matter. But that's a REAL long shot.

Charlie