Deep Secret, Spoiler Space, Merlin

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Fri Apr 25 14:20:20 EDT 2003

Anna:
>  > My guess (and guess is all it is) is that the slightly sexy scenes in the
>>  fantasy conference might have something to do with it. And perhaps that the
>>  narrators are both adults (although I forget Maree's exact age). There's
>>  violence too, of course, but then - ahem....
>
>	Aren't there also some mild references to interspecies sex?
>Between a female magid & various other intelligent lifeforms? I think it's
>made clear that this is just rumoured, fantasy sex & the magid in question
>is faithfully married,

Erm.  'Faithfully married' except that Zinka had an affair with
Rupert, and I think it was implied that it was after she was married,
right?  Or possibly not, but Rupert's clearly upset at the news that
Zinka and Simon (it is Simon, isn't it?  My book's not here for
checking) have been married for a couple of years.

>but still it might reasonably be considered
>unsuitable for reading aloud to children!

I did read it aloud to a child, and don't consider it unsuitable, but
I still don't consider it a children's book.  And I think the
violence is far more horrible in DS than in Merlin.

Hallie.