Deep Secret, Spoiler Space, Merlin

Anna Clare McDuff amcduff at math.sunysb.edu
Fri Apr 25 13:15:29 EDT 2003

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Charles Butler wrote:

> Minnow:
> > Being fair, the Collins publicity has led to them *all* making that
> > mistake, because it claims this as her first children's book in a decade.
> > I am still trying to work out what it is in *Deep Secret* that people
> think
> > is unfit for children any more than any of her other work -- can someone
> > explain?
>
> My guess (and guess is all it is) is that the slightly sexy scenes in the
> fantasy conference might have something to do with it. And perhaps that the
> narrators are both adults (although I forget Maree's exact age). There's
> violence too, of course, but then - ahem....

	Aren't there also some mild references to interspecies sex?
Between a female magid & various other intelligent lifeforms? I think it's
made clear that this is just rumoured, fantasy sex & the magid in question
is faithfully married, but still it might reasonably be considered
unsuitable for reading aloud to children! And didn't DWJ once say in an
interview that she thought the kind of power play that goes on between
flirting couples was unsuitable for children's books because that kind of
thing is unintelligible to them & confuses them? There's quite a lot of
that the Deep Secret. Mind you,

there's quite a lot of that in Merlin as well isn't there? Definitely
struck me as being a new departure for a DWJ children's book, and Merlin
is being sold as a children's book, not a YA one. Do you think her
opinions have changed, the publisher's guidelines have changed, and/or
possibly it is felt, by DWJ or the publishers, that children have changed?

	Anna