DWJ in Today's Guardian, and untrimmed pages

Emma Comerford emmaco at tpg.com.au
Fri Apr 25 00:11:46 EDT 2003

At 10:55  23/04/03 +0100, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
>Anna pointed out
>
> >        There's a DWJ article in todays Guardian, I've put a link to the
> >online story below, there's a photo in the print edition. I was
> >especially interested in what she has to say about JK Rowling...
> >
> >http://www.guardian.co.uk/parents/story/0,3605,941676,00.html
>
>Her husband (whose name they got wrong) apparently said sadly that he saw
>no sign in the article of the intelligence he thought he had detected in
>the interviewer; and I didn't think the photo did her justice.  But I do
>love it when DWJ is gently kind about JK Rowling and the possibility that
>JKR read DWJ as a child.  I think I once heard JKR saying on the radio that
>she admired DWJ's work.

I wasn't that impressed with the article. I think the darker aspects of
Diana's work were over-emphasised, and disliked inaccuracies such as
"So, in her latest novel, The Merlin Conspiracy - her first for 10 years -
the wizard world is one of detached families; nobody stays together."

But yes, it is good that the books are more widely known these days. And I
agree that finding out that we are a cult readership is surprising but
pretty cool!