Mysterious Books

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Apr 24 05:30:30 EDT 2003

> Anna Clare McDuff danced around singing:
 A College of Magics by Caroline Stevermer, I've never read

Denise wrote:
> I've read both.  ACoM has a *lot* in common with SaC, and
> really is a neat  book to read.

ACoM is a brilliant book and you should get it (another one set in the same
universe, Scholar of Magics, is coming out sometime this year or next), but
it feels quite different to SaC to me- less fluffy, maybe. Mairelon the
Magician (by Wrede alone) seems to me to be more similar to SaC, although
that could be because the setting is magical Regency England rather than
Middle Europe.
Jennifer