Wynne Jones

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Wed Apr 23 23:57:46 EDT 2003

> Charlie wrote:
>
> >Not that it's the most important thing about the interview, but I was
> >interested in the way that Jones was referred to throughout as 'Wynne
> >Jones'. This seems to happen now and then, and goodness knows how many
sales
> >double-barrelled writers lose through it, >

It certainly caused me countless problems at one time - and sometimes still
does. My original name was Sally Farrell, and my first few books bear that
name. I became Sally Odgers at 21, but a publisher or two wanted to retain
the "Farrell" as it was known. Tasmanian culture insisted I use my husband's
name, so I became Sally Farrell Odgers. In fact, I retained Farrell as a
third Christian name, so it was more or less correct. Unfortunately, this
led to too many people shelving me at F, to people adding hyphens where none
should be and to school children being told (by their librarians) that I was
actually three different writers. Grrrr-

Sallyo. (Who now writes most of the time as "Sally Odgers" but who uses
other names if publishers insist.)

Chapter & Synopsis contest, closing soon. Details at
http://sallyodgers.50megs.com/1stchaptercontest.htm