DWJ in Today's Guardian, and untrimmed pages

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Apr 23 23:29:53 EDT 2003

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Ven wrote:

> and the following sounds like bad word processor editing
>
> "But children reading the reissued Chrestomanci
> books soon commented on the likeness to Harry
> Potter: school background to the magic, refering
> to a character as one who must not be
> named......."
>
> I quote aminly to ask if anyone knows what that means?

That should be a semi-colon and not a comma, I think; "school
background to the magic" and "referring to a character as one who must
not be named" are two separate points.

The first is pushing it a bit, I feel: okay, Cat gets taken away to a
castle where he is given magic lessons, but it's not really the same
thing, is it?

The latter of course refers to the way the villains in _Charmed Life_
speak of "A Certain Personage" for fear that saying his name will
attract his attention. It's not as much of a stretch as previous
point, but I don't think it counts as a point of specific similarity:
the idea of "speak of the devil" has been around a very long time and
appears in other places than DWJ and JKR.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."