Abarat, etc

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Apr 23 23:06:44 EDT 2003

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

-snip-
> Some rats once brought out what purported to be Masefield's *The
> Midnight Folk*, and among other even longer cuts condensed the
> whole paragraph about how awful it was when Sir Theopompus came
> over and there was a lovely dinner but no contentment therewith,
> to the bald sentence "Kay did not like his guardian."

Yoicks.

I'm glad that I have a copy of _The Midnight Folk_ of my very own, so
there's no danger of me ever accidentally buying that edition.

(Do you think the cuts were made to make the story less obviously of a
particular time and place?)

-snip-
> Bad enough when the author does that sort of thing, as C.S. Lewis
> did to *That Hideous Strength*, or T.H. White did to almost
> everything he ever wrote especially *The Witch in the Wood* aka
> *The Queen of Air and Darkness*

Speaking of buying books as presents and then discovering they've been
altered (as you were in one of the bits I snipped)... a while ago now,
I came across a copy of _The Once and Future King_ and, rather than
selfishly keep it myself, I gave it to my brother as a christmas
present pour encourager les reading of classic literature.

It was only when he started reading it that I discovered that the
version of _The Sword in the Stone_ contained therein was different to
the one with which I was familiar, and was missing most of my
favourite bits. My brother and I were both particularly annoyed by the
discovery that Madam Mym had been left out completely.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."