DWJ in Today's Guardian, and untrimmed pages

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 23 21:34:32 EDT 2003

Minnow wrote

<Anna pointed out

>        There's a DWJ article in todays
Guardian, I've put a link to the
>online story below, there's a photo in the print

edition. I was
>especially interested in what she has to say
about JK Rowling...

>http://www.guardian.co.uk/parents/story/0,3605,941676,00.html

Her husband (whose name they got wrong)
apparently said sadly that he saw
no sign in the article of the intelligence he
thought he had detected in
the interviewer; and I didn't think the photo did

her justice.  But I do
love it when DWJ is gently kind about JK Rowling
and the possibility that
JKR read DWJ as a child.  I think I once heard
JKR saying on the radio that
she admired DWJ's work.>

Um what IS her husband's name? I think he's being
a bit harsh about the interview(er), she doesn't
mention Rowling until the end, she's noticed the
prevalence of bad mothers and has clearly read
TMC*. On the other hand I don't quite see
Chrestomanci as having being anything but a very
distant relation  of Mary Poppins and the
following sounds like bad word processor editing

"But children reading the reissued Chrestomanci
books soon commented on the likeness to Harry
Potter: school background to the magic, refering
to a character as one who must not be
named......."

I quote aminly to ask if anyone knows what that
means?

=====
Ven