starting Abhorsen discussion

Wed Apr 23 15:24:53 EDT 2003

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 16:50:11 -0400 (EDT), deborah wrote:

>I read all the seventh tower books and they were fun.  I wouldn't call
>them too juvenile, I'd call them too mass market.

Did you notice that they're a product of the vast Lucas empire?  No wonder
the mass market aspect is so strong; they were practically commissioned to
give LucasBooks more legitimacy than they get publishing strictly Star
Wars-related fiction.  Printed by Scholastic, sure, but for a long time
Scholastic has been selling as much activity books, computer games, and
craft kits as they have actual books.

If you mean that their flaw is in being too mass market, rather than being
too juvenile, I agree about that.  I think what I'm trying to say is that if
you expect a full-on YA novel along the lines of _Sabriel_, this isn't it.
But if you're comparing the series to something like _Jedi Apprentice_ or
_Goosebumps_, then they are miles beyond in quality.  And I think they
succeed as juvenile fiction despite the mass market aspect.

It would be interesting to try to define the mass market paperback.  On the
one hand, fiction is frequently categorized as "mass-market," which only
refers to the paperbound release of a previously issued hardcover or trade
book.  But that's not what you're talking about, and I do know exactly what
you mean--there's something about such a book that makes it stand out, but I
don't know if I could identify it without resorting to crass snobbery.

Melissa Proffitt