Cover Design

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Apr 23 13:16:04 EDT 2003

Anna wrote:

>        What do people think about the Greenwillow cover? I've only seen
>low quality scans of it, but I do think it looks better than the UK one. I
>originally was going to buy a US copy, but I got tired of waiting for my
>amazon order to arrive, cancelled it, and picked up a UK edition here in a
>London book shop. It's very sad of me I know, but I would buy another copy
>if the US edition was especially well produced. Certainly Greenwillow did
>a wonderful job on the Year Of The Griffin, much better than the UK
>edition IMO.

I have both sitting in front of me right now and I'm going to be really
judgemental....  :-)

The purple-mauve-and-green-spangled-dragon-and-menhirs with wizard
Greenwillow one might have been something the artist had around in a drawer
when the book was described, and tweaked to fit (and what are all those
skyscrapers doing on the horizon at Stonehenge?)  The elephant-and-flowers
Collins cover was commissioned to go specifically with this book and this
book only, and was altered at the request of the author to bring it even
closer to the story, which is a rather rare and special thing to have
happen.

The Greenwillow copy belongs to me, the Collins one to my daughter, and I
am being noble and not trying to con her into doing a swap.

One other thing, I don't know if this is standard for all US books now or
whether it is even the case for all copies of Merl, but the pages on the
Greenwillow one are untrimmed, and are difficult to run through one's
fingers looking for a particular page.  Is that usual?

I can't remember who it was mentioned it or when or in what thread, but the
uncredited artist who did the design that grows between the sections *may*
be a man called David Wyatt.  I'm trying to check that.

Minnow