Nonetheless/nevertheless

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Wed Apr 23 13:03:38 EDT 2003

>(My secret vice: Despite being the kind of person who stops and thinks
>before saying "nonetheless" to make sure I don't really mean
>"nevertheless", I frequently say "I have no idea" with more regard for
>rhetorical effect than for strict accuracy. The International Guild of
>Pedants would have my membership card if it knew.[1])

OK, I'll bite. What, exactly, is the difference between "nonetheless"
and "nevertheless"? My dictionary offers each as a synonym of the
other.

Ian
Pedant In Training

If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with
the universe.
Dr. Beverly Crusher

Ian W. Riddell
Instructional Materials Designer