starting Abhorsen discussion

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Apr 23 12:49:48 EDT 2003

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Jon Noble wrote:

> --- Paul Andinach <pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> wrote:
> > On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

> > > Oh, brother.  I said I saw this one coming way too
> > > early, and
> > > because it was in _Lirael_ I really expected it to
> > > be the result
> > > of the two meeting and getting to know each other
> > > in the normal
> > > way.  (Or even, heaven forbid, her nursing him
> > > back to
> > > health--shudder.)  Did Nix really have to resort
> > > to pairing them
> > > off like that?

> > I've read _Lirael_ and _Abhorsen_ quite recently,
> > and I still have no
> > idea what the two of you are on about...
>
> I'm with Paul here (I think) I saw any Lirael/Nick
> romance as a very minor (and indefinite) thing.

Yes, that's what I meant.

(My secret vice: Despite being the kind of person who stops and thinks
before saying "nonetheless" to make sure I don't really mean
"nevertheless", I frequently say "I have no idea" with more regard for
rhetorical effect than for strict accuracy. The International Guild of
Pedants would have my membership card if it knew.[1])

> > Paul
> > --
> > "Hold fast to the one noble thing."
>
> btw, I do like this quote - who said it? when I've
> looked on the Internet I can't find an author although
> it is often linked, thematically, to Ursula LeGuin.

I got it from Le Guin's _Four Ways to Forgiveness_, in which it
appears as a proverb.

----
[1] In the interests of accuracy, I should add that such an
eventuality would also require that there be an International Guild of
Pedants and that I be a member of it.[2]
[2] And after that footnote, is there any doubt that I would be a
member?  :)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."