Missing books

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Apr 23 11:44:41 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, April 23, 2003, at 02:54 PM, Jenwa Hsung wrote:

>> Dark Lord is now in children's.  Believe it or not.
>> A Waterstones in
>> Edinburgh had all the new HarperCollins books, from
>> Wild Robert up to
>> Hexwood (although Hexwood, F&H and TotG are classed
>> 'for older
>> readers') AND Dark Lord in the 9 to 12 category.  I
>> asked someone
>> working there about Dark Lord being in that age
>> grouping and she said
>> they went by what the publishers told them, and
>> she'd been surprised
>> too.
>
> In the U.S., both Dark Lord and Year of the Griffin
> were always in the children's section.  It doesn't
> really strike me as odd... out of curiosity, why does
> it surprise you?

  I remembered seeing Dark Lord in YA when I was in the States last
summer -  FWIW, I just checked, and Amazon.com lists it as Young Adult
also.  This was in the children's section, as opposed to YA/Teens.  I
really do have a problem with Howl, MoC and the like being shelved right
alongside DL.  Not that some 9 to 12 year olds couldn't cope with it
fine - but then nothing stops them getting it out of YA anyway.  A near
or actual gang rape (not explicit, of course, but still more YA than
kids, IMO), the apparent breakdown of a marriage seen through one of the
partner's eyes (makes a big difference that it's not only through
Blade's eyes), and the apparent death of two children, again seen
through a parent's eyes, really makes me feel this isn't aimed at the
younger group.  FWIW again, Becca and I read it together, when she was
over thirteen, and she found it quite disturbing, more so even than
Hexwood, which I consider the darkest DWJ.

Hallie.