starting Abhorsen discussion

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Tue Apr 22 16:50:11 EDT 2003

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
|I have read some of Nix's Seventh Tower series, which is excellent juvenile
|fantasy.  But with the emphasis on the juvenile.  It's tempting to criticize
|the series for what it lacks, because he writes as well for these books as
|he does for the more, um, mature books, but truthfully I think he's doing
|the field a HUGE service.  I'm annoyed with juvenile books that are poorly
|written, poorly characterized, oversimplified, and excused with the mantra
|"we're just glad kids are reading ANYTHING."  And yet there is no reason for
|writing craft to be sacrificed in order to attract budding readers, because
|it's the one thing that kids don't notice when they're starting out (unless
|they've gotten hold of something beyond their reading level).

I read all the seventh tower books and they were fun.  I wouldn't call
them too juvenile, I'd call them too mass market.  _What Jamie Saw_ is
pretty juvenile, or _The Four Grannnies_ for that matter, but the
Seventh Tower books weren't like those.  There's a specific feel I can't
put my finger on that's mass market paperbacks.  On the other hand, I
completely agree with Miss MP that these books are miles above other
mass market scholastic paperbacks.  I didn't guess what was happening, I
wanted to know how it ended, and the characters -- while somewhat
irritating and predictable in their pettiness -- are reasonably complete
people.

-deborah
deborah at suberic.net
--
"`I am that merry wanderer of the night'?  I am that giggling-dangerous-
totally-bloody-psychotic-menace-to-life-and-limb, more like it."