starting Abhorsen discussion

Tue Apr 22 02:27:01 EDT 2003

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 23:13:05 +1000, Abe Gross wrote:

>Melissa wrote:
>
>> On re-reading _Lirael_ I was more annoyed by the length.  There are at
>least
>> two books crammed in there, and while I see the need to present both Sam
>and
>> Lirael as fully-developed characters, and the problem this creates when
>they
>> are physically separated for most of the book, I still spent a lot of time
>> trying to figure out how the thing could have been separated properly.
>Ugh.
>
>The length of _Lirael_ didn't bother me. I actually enjoyed the way the two
>characters have room to explore who they are without too much happening. (I
>know you're not saying that the lack of action annoyed you exactly-just
>trying to explain why its structure or lenght didn't bother me).

Yeah, I know what you mean.  I think I mentioned it because the first time,
it didn't bother me at all.  And even the second time, it's not so much the
length as the amount of story that's there.  It's not fun to read a book
while you're mentally rewriting the plot (and failing).  :)  Basically, I
agree with you about both Sam and Lirael exploring and finding out who they
were; it just seemed to me that it was an unwieldy way to structure a
*book*, with two separate full-grown plotlines.  It so intrigued/frustrated
me that I really did try to see how it could have been done otherwise.  He
needed the reader to be intimately acquainted with both characters so that
their journeys' intersecting would make sense and you wouldn't go through
that weird "I don't trust the stranger" phase.  Oh well.  This is why Garth
Nix is published and I am a two-bit critic.  :)

Melissa Proffitt