Atonement (OT but no spoilers)

Anna-Leena Pyykönen annaleena at nerina.org
Mon Apr 21 14:24:15 EDT 2003

> >>It's all stunning. I thought the second section was even better than the
> >>first, though all the critics I'd read had focused on the country house
bit.
> >>I wonder if you'll agree?

I really enjoyed the first part, but somehow the second one irked me. I
remember I was vaguely thinking that the book would have been better without
the second part, actually. I wonder whether I got it all right, because of
course the writer tried to convey something through the second part and all
I could think was that it didn't make sense.

I think Briony and co. would have been better off without further
storytelling. People are always saying that it's good to leave room for
imagination. It most certainly isn't the best excuse there is to justify a
wish to completely change the anatomy of a book and leave out a big part of
it, but it'll have to do as I have nothing else to base my opinion on.