Atonement (OT but no spoilers)

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Mon Apr 21 02:48:55 EDT 2003

> Which is, for example, why I stopped halfway through Ian McEwan's
> "Atonement." The first half was such a stunning piece of writing that
> I wanted some time to go by efore I started in on the second half
> (which takes place a few years later). It's sitting on my bedside
> table, waiting for the moment I finish Merlin.

It's all stunning. I thought the second section was even better than the
first, though all the critics I'd read had focused on the country house bit.
I wonder if you'll agree? Mind you, my enjoyment of Part One was mitigated
by my daughter (who reads a lot of Agatha Christie) repeatedly asking, have
you found out what her Crime is yet, have you, have you? What is it? And
when I did, she said - oh, is that all?

Charlie