Missing books/ Cover DEsign

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Sat Apr 19 10:44:37 EDT 2003

> What do people think about the Greenwillow cover? I've only seen
> low quality scans of it, but I do think it looks better than the UK one.

A little bit, but I don't think much of either of them. As for the US one,
I'm not that fond of the 'collage' approach, with masses of suggestive
imagery taken from different parts of the book and tossed in together, nor
do I much like the 'generic' feel, which will put off people who would
actually enjoy the book if they tried it. But the UK one reminds me of a
military cap badge that's run in the wash.

For my money - just to be self-contradictory a la Walt Whitman - the best
recent DWJ cover is the Fire and Hemlock, where the collage is at least
rather clever. Or possibly Time of the Ghost.

Charlie