starting Abhorsen discussion

Emma Comerford emmaco at tpg.com.au
Wed Apr 16 07:04:42 EDT 2003

At 05:31  14/04/03 -0600, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>Using Kyra's post as a jumping-off platform....
>
> >(and my discussion will include all three books, because I didn't get to
> >discuss _Sabriel_ and _Lirael_ before)

>The thing I decided when I finished _Abhorsen_ is that I would like to read
>more about these characters, but not in the sense of wanting a sequel.  I
>liked the people enough that I wished some of the other things that happened
>to them could be told.  And, yes, I would also want to read about their
>lives later on, like just how Sabriel and Lirael learn to be sisters, and so
>forth.  Or something from the Ancelstierre side of things.  They were good
>characters.

>Anyway, overall it felt like a satisfying ending--however, I felt the same
>way about _Sabriel_.  If Nix ever does set any more books in this world, I
>wonder what he would write about?  He sure does the cataclysmic
>end-of-the-world thing well....

I think there's room to talk more about the wallmakers. And I'd like to
read more about the Clayr. Although I have to say that when I started
_Lirael_ I was thinking "where were these cool people before? What's the
pooint of seeing forward if they couldn't stop the whole royal famiy being
slaughtered?"

Anyway, having added my wish list for a possible sequel, I must dash off
and finish packing the car for our Easter holiday. I hope everyone else has
a good break (if they get one). Let me add my thanks to the list in general
for about 2/3 of my reading last year...and for recommending cool authors
like Lois McMaster Bujold and Connie Willis before that (I can't imagine
not having read them now!).

Emma :)