Miyazaki and DWJ (Was Re: Justifiable homicide?

Kale lskale at metaplaxia.net
Tue Apr 15 21:21:50 EDT 2003

At 11:08 AM 4/15/2003 +0100, Roger Burton West wrote:
>On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 08:02:20PM +1000, Sally Odgers wrote:
> >> As someone once put it: "Be nice to Diana or she'll put you in a book.
> >> If you're _really_ good, she may let you out again."
> >Hi, Roger - when/where did Diana say that?
>
>She didn't. Actually, I did, after I first met her. :-)

Welcome to the list, Roger.

I was just watching the extras on the Spirited Away dvd and came across
the interesting information that Miyazaki's characters are all based on
real people.  Anyone who comes within ten feet of him is likely to end up
in one of his films.  It made me laugh and think about this message.  I also
wonder what he's going to do with Howl's Moving Castle, then.  Does he know
someone like Howl or Sophie or Calcifer?

It's funny, too, how the stink spirit scene was based upon his own
experience.
That reminded me of the way DWJ's books keep happening to her, though with
Miyazaki, it was a case of art imitating life, not life imitating art.

Kale