Abhorsen discussion

Tue Apr 15 20:27:22 EDT 2003

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:36:24 +1200, Elizabeth Evans wrote:

>I love this list! In the last little while I have found at least 3 new
>authors and a trivia site.
>I love reading the discussions, even though I haven't read the books. In
>fact, I am going to read Garth Nix now, even though I might never have
>discovered him if it hadn't been for the list.

I'm going to add to this, because I have had the same experience with
discovering new authors and new fun things thanks to this list.  (I'm
enjoying the trivia site too....)  I also might not have found Garth Nix
except for this list.  I know I wouldn't have read Martha Wells.  I probably
wouldn't have infected anyone with the joy of "The Eye of Argon."  I also
wouldn't have gotten into Jasper Fforde, because of the lukewarm reviews I
had read of _The Eyre Affair_.  No Sherwood Smith, no Hilary McKay...it goes
on.  When my life starts sucking as much as it does right now, it's so
comforting to think of this little community that is totally free from
things like plague-ridden housework and lesson plans.  Thank you!

We now return you to the discussions you were having before.  Also we are
going to continue our DWJ crusade at the local library branch, by arranging
her books more visibly on the display racks and insisting that they order
_The Merlin Conspiracy_ immediately.  (They have, on the other hand,
increased their Harry Potter #5 order to 800 copies and the hold list topped
2000 this morning.  There ain't no justice...there's just us.)

Melissa Proffitt
who really really doesn't want to make dinner tonight, but paid too much in
taxes to feel justified in eating out