Abarat, etc

Abe Gross argross at bigpond.net.au
Mon Apr 14 07:54:15 EDT 2003

> > >Has anyone read _Abarat_ by Clive Barker? Any reactions or
> opinions?
> >
> > I tried to, but I couldn't get into it. I read an article
> about him and the book, which is why I made the attempt, but
> the prose style defeated me, I think.

Jennifer wrote:

I read it, and thought it was OK. Some nice ideas, some silly names. It
seems to stop in the middle- a very obvious first-of-a-trilogy. I'm not
going to buy it, but I'll get the next one out of the library.

I'm about half-way through it now, and I more or less concur that it's OK,
even more than OK< with some nifty ideas. I read it straight after _Merlin_,
and DWJ is always a hard act to follow.

Ros