The Scottish play and introducing publishing (was Venomous sheep)

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 11 19:12:56 EDT 2003

--- Otter Perry <ottertee at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Jon Noble wrote:
> >
> > At a conference last weekend author Geoffrey
> > McSwimming (how well known is he outside Oz?)
> betrayed
> > his thespian background by making about 20
> references
> > to Macbeth without ever refering to by name. Maybe
> we
> > should start putting "Scottish Play alert" in the
> > subject line.
>
> Did he refer to the Scottish Play?  Many actors do,
> because it's unlucky to name it.

Yes, several times he said "the Scottish Play", other
references were more oblique. I suspect that it was a
bit of an affectation as it did not have a great deal
to do with his talk which was mostly on the publishing
industry. He had some interesting observations; that
10 years ago the publishing departments of publishers
decided what got published and when, now is it sales
and marketing who decide. Books have to be like That
Successful book, with a particular cover, because
that's whats selling, and to fit in with this
timeframe because thats when the warehouse will be
empty. He was quite bitter about it all.

Jon