Popularity of books

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 9 16:51:29 EDT 2003

--- hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk wrote:
> > Villain - Someone or something kids can hate
> without hindrance
> >

> Mind you, she has some outright villains too! Aunt
> Maria, Uncle Ralph, various others - but is it fun
> to hate them? Not for me now, but if I were thirty
> years younger, maybe.
>
> Charlie

Even these are still Human villians who's motives are
understandable on a human level. They are certainly
not Sauron or Lord Foul, an Ultimate Personification
of Evil. They don't make milk go bad or wilt flowers
when they walk past. In fact, in thinking about the
kids I see in teaching, there is possibly 1 in a 100,
and certainly 1 in 200 who are just as unpleasant as
they are. I think that school children who also see
this range of personalities are also aware of this.
What you don't see in DWJ is a cliched Dark Lord (even
when she writes a book about one)

Jon