Popularity of books

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Wed Apr 9 02:29:32 EDT 2003

Hi all;

this (mentioned with the permission of the list owner) is something that
came up on the CFVR (Children's and YA Fantasy Views and Reviews) list.

What do very popular *with children* children's books have in common?

I suggest -

A secret.  Most kids like the idea of a secret.

Importance - The children become important beings in such books. (Narnia,
HP.) This may
reflect the fact that some kids don't feel important beyond their family
circles.

Father Figure - There's usually an adult/ being/ hero who will advise and
help and guide them. A safety net.

Food/snow/clothes/unicorns/treasure - details about things that children
find
fascinating.

Villain - Someone or something kids can hate without hindrance.

The interesting thing is that these elements don't all appear in every
DWJ... Chrestomanci does (I suppose) qualify as the Father Figure and there
are villains, but the Importance is often diminished in come way. The secret
is there - sometimes.

Anyone care to comment?

Sallyo.