deborah deborah at suberic.net
Tue Apr 8 11:56:39 EDT 2003

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
|>Hey, Melissa, I just picked up my copy of The Dollmage at our
|>probably-doomed branch library about 30 minutes ago.  I'd better like
|>it, or I'll beat you up, you mindless drone, you.
|
|No, YOU'D better like it, or I'm mailing you a big scarlet A to wear on your
|sinning bosom.  Hey, Scarlet Harlot rhymes!  Sounds like a superheroine for
|the twenty-first century.  But my innocent soul balks at determining what
|her powers might be.

Oh well, no Hester Prynne for me.  I did like it, though not as much as
I probably should have, because I read it in snippets: in the car; while
other people were talking to me; at lunch.  The cover art was
horrendous, though.  Somebody pointed out that the girl on the cover --
is she supposed to be one of the main characters?  because she isn't --
looks like Gwen, the Rogue stand-in from Angel.

But very good book, very satisfying ending, interesting frame story (and
told in the present tense, no less!  And really needs to be in order to
make the frame story work), funky magic system.  I liked it.  So whilst
I am still a Scarlet Harlot, I don't get a letter.

-deborah
deborah at suberic.net
--
I'm a little teapot, short and stout.
Here is my handle and here is my ... my ...