Lyra's Oxford

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Sun Apr 6 16:31:46 EDT 2003

Anyone else seen this? (I got it from the ACHUKA site):

"David Fickling Books formally announced on April 3rd that Philip Pullman's
next book will be Lyra's Oxford, to be published October 2003. The press
release ran: "Originally conceived as a small, local celebration of the
powerful literary associations that Philip has forged with his home city of
Oxford, Lyra's Oxford grew in the making. It soon became clear that this
brand new work by Philip was going to be very exciting and would have wide
international appeal. Philip met with his publisher David Fickling, and
together with top design group Trickett and Webb, they chose and
commissioned the master engraver and illustrator John Lawrence to illustrate
the project.... Lyra's Oxford stands alone from the trilogy, and can be read
as such or as a companion to the other titles. It both looks back
affectionately to the trilogy and whets the appetite for Philip's next novel
in the His Dark Materials sequence the forthcoming The Book of Dust. No fan
will want to be without it."

I couldn't help but be struck here by the distinction between the trilogy,
the sequence, and the appetite-whetter - I only knew of the first before
today. Anyone else know about this? Any fan care whether they are without
it?

Charlie