first person narratives

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Sat Apr 5 13:53:14 EST 2003

Devra:
It seems to me that a number of recent YA novels have been written in first person AND in present tense: i.e, "'I say to her, 'Orange and purple off, you...'"  One of the reasons why I don't like general YA lit, as opposed to fantasy

Not that I'd want all of YA to be tarred with that particular brush, but yes, there are a quite a few books which seem to assume the present tense offers some kind of short cut to hard-hitting immediacy. It's about as effective as printing everything in VERY BIG LETTERS would be, IMHO.

Charlie