Abhorsen discussion

Ulrika miri at home.se
Sat Apr 5 10:45:22 EST 2003

Kyla said gleefully;

(There's nothing quite like the elation of finding a book on the library
shelves when you think all copies of it are going to be out or on hold for
weeks and weeks, but then you find that one single copy is listed as being
"available" in the computer catalog, and you go rushing upstairs to the
young adult hardcover section, where your hopes are cruelly dashed by not
finding anything under "Nix," until you remember that wait! there's
another place you could look! the recommended books shelves! and wouldn't
this be a recommended book? and you rush back and there it is and you
swoop down on it and clutch it and pray that the librarian won't snatch it
away and say "no, no, this was a mistake, it should be on hold for someone
else." Whew. Because that's what happened. And I finished it yesterday
afternoon because I came home sick from work.)

This nearly happened for me with Summerland. Except that they did not give me the book because even if it said available in the computer it wasn't really... the kind librarian did go behind the scene to find it for me, but once she realised that (a) this copy of the book wasn't quite through the machinery yet and (b) I had a reservation on another copy from another library that had been sent on Wednesday and should hopefully arrive on Monday - she decided to keep it after all. It looked nice and thick though...

//Ulrika

Just because they really are out to get you doesn't mean you aren't paranoid.
Steven Brust - Issola