Favourite segues

Fri Apr 4 19:00:31 EST 2003

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 19:53:56 +0100, Dorian E. Gray wrote:

>Melissa said...
>>
>> A side effect of this is that I very rarely see the purpose of
>deliberately
>> using present tense.
>
>Well, I've only written one (short) story in the present tense, but there is
>a very good reason for it: the narrator would never, ever tell that story
>after the fact, as the person he is at the end of the story would not want
>anyone to know the events detailed in the story.  So he had to tell it as it
>happens to him.

Oh...um, I mean I rarely PERCEIVE the purpose of writing in present tense.
Not that there aren't good reasons for authors doing it.  So in the story
you describe, I not only wouldn't get the reason for the present tense, I
likely wouldn't remember that it had been written in the present tense to
begin with.

Make more sense?

(I've been in writers' discussion groups where the necessity for present
tense was argued repeatedly.  Some other reasons people suggested were to
increase the immediacy of the story and to be postmodern.  :)

Melissa Proffitt