Favourite segues

Fri Apr 4 00:56:19 EST 2003

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 10:43:02 +0100, Philip.Belben at eme.co.uk wrote:

>Does anyone else find present tense narratives for novels harder to read?

I don't at all, but I seem to be in the minority.  I only find it hard to
read if it's inherently flawed, but the present tense doesn't itself drive
me crazy.

A side effect of this is that I very rarely see the purpose of deliberately
using present tense.  Because it's just as invisible to me as any other
style, I never notice the thing it's meant to draw attention to, so it's
ineffective (to me) as a literary technique.  The only exception is when
it's used in conjunction with literary past tense in an epistolary or
journal conceit, and then it makes the conceit seem more realistic.

Melissa Proffitt