Framing devices

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Thu Apr 3 11:26:33 EST 2003

At 08:51 AM 03/04/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>I just reread _The Hero and the Crown_, and was utterly bewildered as to
>the precise chronology, since it's awfully vague, even though I've been
>reading this book periodically for years. The framing device is around
>just the first few chapters, but since Robin McKinley's writing style is
>sort of vague (and I mean this in the nicest way possible), I was
>thinking, "Wait.
>
><spoiler space>

>'

>"So Aerin's already fighting dragons? The demon mischief is already a
>problem? She's hiding in her room? When does she discover kenet? ....oh.
>Now we go back about four years or so. Now she eats the surka. Now she
>rides Talat. Now she discovers kenet. Now she starts killing dragons.

Strictly speaking, this isn't a frame, this is in media res (starting the
narrative in the middle of the story). Frames are when you start with one
pov and narrator, who then says, I'll tell you a story, and then they go on
to do this. Famous example: Heart of Darkness. I don't actually think Fire
and Hemlock is really a frame narrative, either.

Robyn