Favourite segues

Sally Odgers sodgers at dodo.com.au
Thu Apr 3 07:51:25 EST 2003

> Does anyone else find present tense narratives for novels harder to read?

I'm not terribly fond of reading Present Tense narratives, but they do have
a place. It's one way to keep the reader in suspense with a 1st person
narrative... if it's in the usual past tense it's obvious that the
protagonist survived.

I used it once to reflect the mind set of the protagonist - she spent quite
a bit of the book as a non-human and her time-sense was blurred. And yes, I
used italics in that one as well, to denote the presence of a second 1st P,
Pre. tense narrator.

Having said all that, I would usually hold off from present tense unless for
one of the above reasons.

Sallyo.