Framing devices

Kyla Tornheim kyla at merlin.sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Apr 3 08:51:25 EST 2003

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 Philip.Belben at eme.co.uk wrote:

> > Incomplete frames can be one way to do it, I suppose.
>
> In Fire and Hemlock, the framing narrative (Polly aged 19) and the main
> story (Polly's childhood memories) come together very nicely, with the
> sort of effect you describe.  Is this what you had in mind?

That framing narrative works quite well, because it's always so clear how
old Polly is, so I never got confused about what was happening when.

I just reread _The Hero and the Crown_, and was utterly bewildered as to
the precise chronology, since it's awfully vague, even though I've been
reading this book periodically for years. The framing device is around
just the first few chapters, but since Robin McKinley's writing style is
sort of vague (and I mean this in the nicest way possible), I was
thinking, "Wait.

<spoiler space>

'

"So Aerin's already fighting dragons? The demon mischief is already a
problem? She's hiding in her room? When does she discover kenet? ....oh.
Now we go back about four years or so. Now she eats the surka. Now she
rides Talat. Now she discovers kenet. Now she starts killing dragons.

"*Now* we're back to her hiding in her room, all embarrassed because she's
not going with her father and Tor to fight the demon mischief. And right
after this comes Maur."

I suppose this was done because Aerin not remembering who first told her
the story of her mother is a good way to get into the story; and it's a
bit odd to zoom through four years of Aerin getting well and learning
stuff, if the book started chronologically. But I was suddenly just so
confused.